Tuesday 15 May 2012

Hodgson Adds Gary Neville To His Coaching Staff

Former Manchester United and England defender Gary Neville has been appointed as a coach on Roy Hodgson's England staff. Neville, who holds Uefa A and B coaching licences, has signed a four year contract with The FA.

"Roy asking me to be a part of his staff and to work with the national team is not only an honour but a very special moment for me," said Neville.


"I had absolutely no hesitation in accepting this role and I am relishing the opportunity to work alongside Roy and the team at the Euros and through to the next two tournaments."


During a successful playing career he made 85 England appearances, while winning every domestic honour with Manchester United, and the Uefa Champions League. He represented England at Euro 96, Euro 2000, Euro 2004, World Cup 98 and World Cup 2006.


After retiring in 2010-11, he has been widely acclaimed for his football analysis during his first season working for Sky Sports. Neville will join the coach Ray Lewington and the goalkeeping coaches Ray Clemence and Dave Watson in Hodgson's coaching staff at the European Championship.


"Gary has achieved so much in the game as a player with Manchester United and England," said Hodgson. "He has obtained Uefa coaching qualifications and will be tremendously respected by the players because of his vast experience as a player.


"At my first meeting with The FA, I explained that Gary was someone I wanted as part of my staff. I think it is very important we have a younger coach who knows the dressing room and is very experienced at international level. That he has represented England as a player at five major finals tournaments will make him an invaluable member of staff." 

No comments:

Post a Comment