Tuesday 15 May 2012

Nistelrooy Bids Adieu

Ruud Van Nistelrooy, yesterday announced his retirement from professional football, at the age of 35, in Malaga in a tete-e-tete with the media.

He joined Malaga in 2011 from Germany's SV Hamburg but has spent more time on the bench than on the playing field, only managing to score four goals in La Liga during this period.

Malaga on Sunday clinched fourth place by beating Sporting Gijon 1-0, but Van Nistelroy said on Monday that he will not be part of their Champions League campaign.

"My dream was to play in the Champions League with Malaga but the moment for my farewell has arrived," the Dutch veteran said in statement.


"I have to recognize that I have reached my physical limit. I am happy to say goodbye in this way, to have reached this decision


I would like to extend gratitude to my family and to all the fans who have supported me at my different clubs."


Van Nistelrooy scored a league-best 25 goals to lead Manchester United to the Premier League title in 2003. After transferring to Spain, he scored a league-high 25 goals for Real Madrid in 2006-07.


Van Nistelrooy started out as a central defender, at Den Bosch, before being converted into a striker. He played at Heerenveen, PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Hamburg and Malaga.


He scored a total of 338 goals in 557 games for his different clubs, and in the process won domestic leagues.


He made 70 appearances for the Netherlands between 1998 and 2011, scoring 35 goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment