Monday 24 December 2012

Chelsea whipped Villa apart

Chelsea made perfect start to festive period and fashioned their most brutal attacking display on Sunday to pound Aston Villa with a thumping 8-0, Premier League victory. 

The Blues slashed Villa defence apart with ease after Fernando Torres headed in the opener after just three minutes, with seven other different goal scorers at Stamford Bridge. Having scored just seven goals in the opening four months of the season, Torres has now scored seven in the last six games in all competitions. 

Benitez said on Torres' form "He is a striker and he needed to score goals ... he has more confidence." 

This one-sided rout will be most pleasing for Rafa Benitez, who now has two league wins in the five games since being hired to replace Roberto Di Matteo despite the aggression of Chelsea fans. 

Frank Lampard marked his 500th appearance for the club by scoring stunning 25 yarder and surpassed Bobby Tambling (129 goals) as the club's leading top-flight scorer, moving to 130. 

Ramires, who replaced Lampard, scored twice, as David Luiz, Oscar, Branislav Ivanovic and Eden Hazard also beat Brad Guzan in the Villa goal. A first league win at Stamford Bridge since early October lifted the Blues up to third place, seven points behind second-place Manchester City but with a game in hand. 

With Lampard's contract expiring at the end of the season, the fans responded with chants of "Sign him up" and roared in approval. 

Frank Lampard told media after the match "We showed great appetite for the game from the first minute." 

"(With) our desire to be quick with the ball, the early goal helped. We are enjoying playing again and we needed that attitude to get us out of the sticky patch we were in." 

"I'm under contract here. I'm going to keep going game by game." 

"I love playing here. I'm pleased to be fit and I will keep trying to enjoy my football. I believe I have a lot in me to go. I don't want to get too deep. The club's position is their position. I'm here to play football to show people what I can do." 

Villa manager Paul Lambert said his side's submission at Chelsea was a "wake-up call" with the Midlands team pining away in 16th place, three points above the drop zone. 

"We were second best all over the pitch, I am not going to stand here and make excuses," said the Scot. "We were beaten up pretty badly. The lads know that was not acceptable." 

No comments:

Post a Comment