Tuesday 30 October 2012

Golden Boot for Europe's top scorer, Lionel Messi

The 25-year-old Barcelona star, Lionel Messi was awarded the Golden Boot trophy on Monday for finishing last season as the top goal scorer in Europe's domestic leagues. 

Scoring 50 goals for Barcelona, Messi has notched a record in the Primera Division leaving behind Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo by four goals. 

Dedicating the award to his Barcelona teammates, Xavi Hernandez and Carles Puyol; Messi said, "It is a prize for scoring goals, but without my teammates I couldn't have scored them. I share this award with them as I always do." 

"I don't fight for individual awards, I fight for titles. My goals are reclaiming the league crown, winning the Copa del Rey and the winning the Champions League again. Those are my goals, team goals." 

Messi won his first Golden Boot award for 2009-2010 season when he scored 34 goals. 

Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova said "We won't see another player like him, and if we do, it won't be for a very long time. It's not just for the goals he scores, but for how he sees and understands the game, that is what makes him so great. On Saturday, he ran 50 meters to defend a corner in the 89th minute with a 5-0 lead. Not many players would have done that." 

Last season, the Argentinean attacker scored 73 goals in all competitions for Barcelona, smashing previously-set record of 67 goals established by Bayern Munich's Gerd Mueller in 1972-73 and world club record of 70 by Archie Stark of Bethlehem Steel in 1924-25. 

Messi crossed 57-year-old milestone of 232 goals set by Cesar Rodriguez to become the top scorer for Barcelona. With 17 goals in all competitions this season, he has set his goals in mind of breaking another record very soon. He is only two goals away from leveling Pele's milestone of 75 goals for club and country in 1958 calendar year. 

"Obviously, it's an honor to be close to the numbers of a person who is so important to football," Messi said. "But, again, they are only statistics. 

"My goal is to win as many titles as I can before the end of my career. I have always been like that. Then I can look back at what I have won and take stock of my career." 

Luis Suarez, the former Barcelona and Spain midfielder gave away the award on the day that the 23 man long-list was announced for 2012 Ballon d'Or. 
"We will quickly make a space for a Ballon d'Or or a Golden Shoe if there is another," he said. 

"Messi is the essence of football," Suarez said. "There has never been a player fast, skilful and technical who scores so many goals until Messi." 
Messi meanwhile, candidly said that he would not have any problems making space in his trophy cabinet for another award if he had to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment