Monday 3 September 2012

Cometh the hour, Cometh the man!

Robin van Persie made up for a penalty miss by scoring his first hat trick for the Red Devils with two late goals in Manchester United's dramatic 3-2 win at Southampton on Sunday, earning them a second straight win in the Premier League. 

In a fitting way to mark United manager Alex Ferguson's 1,000th league game in charge, Van Persie equalized in the 87th minute before heading home a corner in the second minute of injury time for his fourth goal since joining from Arsenal for 38 million Dollars in the off season. 

Van Persie's late show, which took him to 100 Premier League goals in 197 games, will have come as a mighty relief for the Netherlands striker, after his impudent chipped penalty was clawed away by goalkeeper Kelvin Davis in the 68th minute. 

The score was 2-1 to Southampton at the time and United looked headed for a second loss in three games before Van Persie's goals. 

"I don't know what I was thinking with the penalty. I was going to hit it hard but at the last second I changed my mind," Van Persie said. "I'm quite disappointed about it. I ask certain standards from my game and at 2-1 down you cannot take a penalty like that." 

Ferguson, famous for what the British media calls the "hairdryer treatment" in the dressing room when his team or player underperforms, was all smiles after the match despite Van Persie's error of judgment. 

"I was surprised because every time I've seen him take a penalty he usually rattles it into the corners, so I was confident," Ferguson said. "But he made up for it." 

Having started the season with a 1-0 loss at Everton, this win lifted United up to fifth place on six points, one behind neighbor and reigning champion Manchester City and three behind early leader Chelsea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment