Tuesday 29 May 2012

Italian Football marred by match-fixing scandal

Italy's Euro preparations have been hindered by another match-fixing scandal that includes number of high profile players under investigation for their role in 'Scommessopoli' scandal. The Italian football federation (FIGC) is investigating 22 clubs, 52 players and 9 others.

A vivid day for Italian football saw the arrest of Stefano Mauri, captain of Lazio, and investigation from Juventus manager Antonio Conte, fresh from winning Serie A in his first season. The investigations do not surround their current positions.


But Juventus's coach Antonio Conte defends himself saying "My football history as a player and coach speaks volumes,"


"You can ask my teammates, my players and my opponents.


"Don't forget that for my honesty and integrity I've had to confront an extreme aggression."


"Last year with Siena we won promotion through sacrifice and effort."


"It was an amazing year and I repeat: I and my players have nothing to do with these facts."


Fifa's former head of security said "The Italian investigation is now the most important investigation into football match-fixing in the world today,"


"It is a truly international investigation and will certainly cut off a few heads of this international monster that is feeding off football. I am not surprised [by its scale] - I am afraid there is more to come."


Zenit St. Petersburg's defender Domenico Criscito is also under investigation as, and was visited by police at Italy's Euro 2012 training camp. He did not feature in Italy's training session afterward, but public prosecutor Stefano Di Martino stressed that his participation at Euro 2012 is not in danger. Italy coach Cesare Prandelli has confirmed that Bonucci will remain in the squad taken to Poland and Ukraine.


The FIGC investigation will possibly lead to a immense sports trial this summer just like in 2006 that resulted in Juventus being relegated to Serie B and point-penalties for several other top clubs. Juventus was also exposed of the 2005 and 2006 titles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment